Did you ever wonder why do mosquito bites itch? The reason why they itch is because of the toxin that mosquitoes leave inside animals when they bite. It’s the way that mosquitoes keep themselves from being swatted to death while they feed on their prey. Well, either way it doesn’t really matter why their bites itch as much as how to stop the itching from those pesky bites matters. Here are some of the more popular remedies that get rid of mosquito bite itching fast.
- Take some antihistamines. For one reason or another, taking a Benadryl or Claritin will get rid of most of the itching almost instantly. This way, you won’t scratch the bites, and your bite will fade quickly.
- Rub aloe vera on the bite. Aloe is a great way to drown out the sporozoans (poisonous stuff that causes itching) that mosquitoes inject into you.
- Use one part water and one part baking soda as a poultice for your mosquito bites. The easiest way to get rid of the itching associated with bug bites of all sorts is to use a half-and-half mixture of baking soda and water on the bite. This kitchen remedy has been around for decades, and it works.
- Soaking the mosquito bite in Epsom salts and water can help. Epsom salts are notorious for being able to draw out poisons and toxins of all sorts. If you have been having a bug bite that simply won’t stop itching, it may be a good idea to have a short bath with Epsom salts.
- Tea tree oil is a great remedy, too. Tea tree oil, when dabbed ontop of a bug bite, will greatly reduce itching and swelling. It’s also great for dermatological problems like dandruff and acne, making it a great pick for those who love home remedies.
- It is also worth getting some anti-itch creams from your local pharmacy. Sometimes, it’s just easiest to use the stuff that you can pick up from a local store. A typical anti-itch cream will cost anywhere from $2 to $6, depending on the brand and ingredients in the cream.
Even though mosquitoes are common enough to basically guarantee a bite or two every summer (in some locations, anyway), that doesn’t mean that you should have to endure the annoying itching that each bite guarantees.